Tuesday 12 February 2013

The Prey by Andrew Fukuda Review

The Prey (The Hunt, #2)




For Gene and the remaining humans—or hepers—death is just a heartbeat away. On the run and hunted by society, they must find a way to survive in The Vast... and avoid the hungry predators tracking them in the dark. But they’re not the only things following Gene. He’s haunted by the girl he left behind and his burgeoning feelings for Sissy, the human girl at his side.

When they discover a refuge of exiled humans living high in the mountains, Gene and his friends think they’re finally safe. Led by a group of intensely secretive elders, the civilisation begins to raise more questions than answers. A strict code of behaviour is the rule, harsh punishments are meted out, young men are nowhere to be found—and Gene begins to wonder if the world they’ve entered is just as evil as the one they left behind. As life at the refuge grows more perilous, he and Sissy only grow closer. In an increasingly violent world, all they have is each other... if they can only stay alive.

My Review
First off, can I say sorry for not posting in the past week. I've been busy with music school and coursework and exams and stuff but i'll make it up to you, I PROMISE. I've got lots of things to post! I've got this review, and then I'm ALMOST finished the 7th book, Gates of Paradise, in the Blue Blood Series by Melissa De La Cruz (can I just say ohmygod!).

RIGHT. BACK TO THIS REVIEW.
This book is the second book in The Hunt series, and after the amazing-ness of the first book, I had NO IDEA how Fukuda would manage to top one of the BEST books I have ever read in my entire life. Normally, I tend not to like books unless they have romance, or a paranormal aspect, or normally both, however this book did lack romance. There were hints of romance, similarly to the first book, The Hunt, however the central story line didn't revolve around Gene finding love or falling in love. Whilst at first I was hesitant to read the book if love wasn't a central part of the story, I decided to give it a go. The synopsis was enticing enough, and once I started reading, I couldn't stop!
Which lead me to the second book, which I eagerly bought on the morning it came out. It was the very first thing I did when I woke up.
This book was AMAZING. The characters that were created in the first book were developed further and given depths to them throughout the second book. I personally fancy the pants of Gene. He seems like a manly, smart, clever, fit, gorgeous man (and he's human which helps a bunch!). He has nothing on Aiden from the Covenant series, or Daemon from the Lux series (which I will finish posting reviews of in the next month or so!), but he's a close third!
The way Gene takes charge in the book and successfully leads the group of Hepers to safety (or what you THINK is safety) is admirable. I also have to admit I love the lead girl in this book as well, Sissy! She's independent and feisty, and I picture as a tall, tanned, long-flowing hair warrior style kick-ass gal, which I imagine I am on several occassions when I feel pathetic and lonely! I used to DREAM about being Buffy The Vampire Slayer, she was my child-hood hero, and I think Sissy is from a similar line of tough women.
I have to say that the twist in this book is sort of expected, and seems a bit obvious to me, however this did not mean that I was bored or lost interest in the book, completely the opposite! I was desperate to know whether or not my suspicions were correct, and therefore I read this book in ONE SITTING.
The ending is such a cliffhanger it breaks my heart. I don't want to WAIT for the next book. I want it nowwww! So please Andrew Fukuda, WRITE THE BOOK AND GIVE IT TO ME!
So my final words to you are:
Read the Hunt. Then read the Prey. Then fangirl with me until the next book comes out!
Love, me.
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment